PA AAP Let's Talk Series: “Lessons for Oral Health Care in the COVID-19 Pandemic: Potential for Problems and Opportunities for Pediatricians”Let’s Talk: June 10, 2020
Pediatricians, Family Medicine Physicians, Residents, Nurse Practitioners, Nurses, Practice Staff
As a result of participation in this activity, participants will be able to:
- Recognize the impact of oral health on the overall well-being of children
- Use preventive measures for early childhood caries in an environment of telemedicine and limited office visits
- Explain the bacterial etiology and chronic inflammatory nature of dental caries
- Understand the role of fluoride in prevention of decay
- Integrate oral healthcare practices into both in-person and video and audio telemedicine visits for acute disease, follow-up, and prevention
The information presented at this CME program represents the views and opinions of the individual presenters, and does not constitute the opinion or endorsement of, or promotion by, the UPMC Center for Continuing Education in the Health Sciences, UPMC / University of Pittsburgh Medical Center or Affiliates and University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine. Reasonable efforts have been taken intending for educational subject matter to be presented in a balanced, unbiased fashion and in compliance with regulatory requirements. However, each program attendee must always use his/her own personal and professional judgment when considering further application of this information, particularly as it may relate to patient diagnostic or treatment decisions including, without limitation, FDA-approved uses and any off-label uses
- Thomas J. Maroon, MD, FAAP- Attending pediatrician at Children's Community Pediatrics and Excela Health System, Chapter Oral Health Advocate, and presenter for Healthy Teeth Healthy Children
- C Eve J Kimball, MD, FAAP- Founder of All About Children Pediatric Partners, founder of the Healthy Teeth Healthy Children program, Chapter Oral Health Advocate, Member of the PAAAP Board
- Angela M. Stout, DMD, MPH- Pediatric dentist, Clinical Assistant Professor of Pediatric Dentistry at University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine and the Kornberg School of Dentistry at Temple University
- Kelly Curtin-Hallinan, DO, FAAP- General Pediatrician for WellSpan Health, Consultant Medical Director for the PA Office of Medical Assistance, Chapter Oral Health, serves on multiple committees for the American Academy of Pediatrics, WellSpan Health
No members of the planning committee, speakers, presenters, authors, content reviewers and/or anyone else in a position to control the content of this education activity have relevant financial relationships with any proprietary entity producing, marketing, re-selling, or distributing health care goods or services, used on, or consumed by, patients to disclose.
Accreditation and credit designation
In support of improving patient care, this activity has been planned and implemented by the University of Pittsburgh and the Pennsylvania Chapter of the American Academy of Pediatrics. The University of Pittsburgh is jointly accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), and the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), to provide continuing education for the healthcare team.
The University of Pittsburgh School designates this live activity for a maximum of 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
The maximum number of hours awarded for this Continuing Nursing Education activity is 1.0 contact hours.
Other Healthcare Professionals
Other health care professionals will receive a certificate of attendance confirming the number of contact hours commensurate with the extent of participation in this activity.
- 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™The University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
- 1.00 ANCCUPMC Provider Unit is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation
- 1.00 Attendance