The registration fee includes the seminar, electronic educational materials, continental breakfast, refreshment breaks, and lunch.
UPMC Hamot 2020 Pulmonary Update
Join your colleagues and gain the latest updates and practice guidelines in pulmonary care!
This activity has been designed to increase the participant’s knowledge of some of the most common pitfalls in pulmonary medicine. Specific topics were selected based on current therapies, treatments, and ways to improve pulmonary care for patients. This activity is expected to result in increased confidence in making a diagnosis and providing effective treatment, referral, and follow-up care with the overall goal of improving patient outcomes.
UPMC Hamot is excited to welcome our guest speaker for this years conference, Len Geiger!
Len will talk about his life before and after his diagnosis of a rare genetic disorder known as Alpha-1. Len has been featured in Sports Illustrated, the Today Show, the Discovery Health Channel, HBO's "Real Sports with Bryan Gumbal," and ABC's "World News Tonight with Charles Gibson."
Primary care physicians, hospitalists, advanced practice providers, and nurses, as well as other healthcare professionals will benefit from attendance at this activity.
At the conclusion of this activity, the participants should be able to:
- Discuss rationale for various aspects of pulmonary function testing
- Recognize appropriate testing for patients with suspected lung disease
- Review pulmonary function test results and reports
- Discuss the basic types of chest imaging available
- Analyze the results of chest radiography
- Review next steps after receiving abnormal chest imaging results
- Identify common indications for thoracic surgery
- Compare and contrast the advantages and limitations of minimally invasive thoracic surgery techniques
- Review the various types of lung cancer
- Describe the current standard and novel treatment options for lung cancer
- Discuss future directions in lung cancer diagnosis and treatment
- Assess various multidisciplinary approaches to a lung cancer patient case
- Discuss the pathophysiology of Alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency
- Review the diagnostic modalities and treatment options for Alpha-1
- Assess the impact Alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency has from a patient perspective
- Review the classifications of pleural effusions
- Discuss the diagnostic approach of pleural effusions
- Describe the therapeutic options for pleural effusions
- Discuss the history and prevalence of vaping
- Review the current CDC approach for vaping
- Describe pulmonary rehab guidelines for inclusion and treatment modalities
- Discuss the importance of pulmonary rehab as an adjunct modality to pulmonary treatment
- Review benchmark goals and logistics of a pulmonary rehab program
Attire for the seminar is business casual. Since meeting room temperatures and personal comfort levels vary, it is recommended that you bring a sweater or jacket to the conference.
Participation by all individuals is encouraged. Advance notification of any special needs (i.e. gluten free or vegan meal, private room for nursing mothers, handicap accessibility) will help us provide better service. Please notify us of your needs at least two weeks in advance of the program by calling UPMC Hamot’s CME office at 800-352-2553 or 814-877-5691.
Mario Kinsella, MD, FCCP, FAASM
Stephen Kovacs, DO, FCCP
Department of Pulmonology
Christopher Lau, MD
Department of Pulmonology
Anand Popuri, DO, MS
Aaron Rucks, DO, MS
Department of Radiology
David Seastone, DO, PhD
Department of Oncology
UPMC Hillman Cancer Center
Manisha Shende, MD
Department of Thoracic Surgery
Special thanks to the members of our planning committee:
Dawn Brown RN, Haylee Esposito, Mario Kinsella, MD, Stephen Kovacs, DO, Brenna Lee, PA-C, Margaret Pett, and Sally Sunseri, RN
AMA Category 1 Credit
AOA Category 1 Credit
- 6.50 AAPA Category I CME
- 6.50 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™The University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
- 6.50 ANCCUPMC Provider Unit is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation
- 6.50 Attendance
Registration will be opening soon!
Advanced Practice Providers
Nurses and Health Care Professionals
Residents, students, and other trainees
Tuition for cancellations postmarked or date stamped before April 3, 2020, will be completely refunded. After April 3, 2020, a $30 administration fee will be assessed. No refunds will be made after April 13, 2020. However, substitutes are welcome. Please notify UPMC Hamot’s CME Department of substitutions and cancellations, via email to email@example.com or by telephone at 814-877-4011, or via USPS mail to: UPMC Hamot CME Department, 201 State St., Erie, PA 16550.