UPMC Shadyside Virtual Pulmonary Conference
This conference includes 6 speakers discussing the most up-to-date concepts and research on a variety of topics relevant to nurses and other healthcare workers who care for patients with a variety of pulmonary problems. This includes current information and research related to COVID-19 transmission/prevention, long-term complications of COVID-19 infection, Sleep Apnea, Robotic Lung Surgery, and maintaining patients' safely as they are being prepared to donate organs. In view of the recent trends in working from home, one of the speakers will discuss cybersecurity problems with healthcare information and how to protect patient and corporation privacy whether in the building or in the home.
Nurses, respiratory therapists, and other staff working with patients with pulmonary problems.
- COVID-19 & Vaccination Updates: Discuss current scientific knowledge regarding preventing and treating infections from COVID-19 virus.
- Pulmonary Complications of COVID-19 Infection: Discuss current scientific knowledge regarding the long-term effects of having had a COVID-19 infection.
- Sleep Apnea: It's Not a Snooze Fest!: Explain current treatments for obstructive sleep apnea (OSA).
- Cyber Safety: Explain strategies for protecting electronic health data at UPMC and when working from home.
- Advantages of Robotic-Assisted vs. Conventional Lung Surgery: Compare/contrast research studies showing outcomes of open, robotic and thoracoscopic lung surgeries.
- Organ Donation - Saving Lives Together: Explain the process for preserving optimum function of organs in a patient who is becoming a donor; Explain the difference between donation after determination of brain death and donation after cardiac death.
COVID 19 & Vaccination Updates
Ashley Ayres, Director, Infection Prevention
Pulmonary Complications of COVID 19 Infection
Jennifer McComb, M.D.
Sleep Apnea: It’s Not a Snooze Fest!
Paula Jernigan, M.D.
Advantages of Robotic Assisted vs. Conventional Lung Surgery
Inderpal Sarkaria, M.D.
Organ Donation – Saving Lives Together
Angela Hockman, M.Ed., BS; CORE
A link to the conference will be sent out to registered attendees via email closer to the date of the conference.
Respiratory CE (American Association for Respiratory Care/AARC): The learner will be awarded continuing education contact hour(s) for participating in the program for its entirety, upon completion and submission of an evaluation form.
Contact: Cathy Hulick, email@example.com
In support of improving patient care, the University of Pittsburgh is jointly accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), and the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), to provide continuing education for the healthcare team.
This activity is approved for the following credit: ANCC. Other health care professionals will receive a certificate of attendance confirming the number of contact hours commensurate with the extent of participation in this activity.
The maximum number of hours awarded for this Continuing Nursing Education activity is 5.75 contact hours.
To receive credit, participants must attend the entire conference and complete a course evaluation at the end.
Contact: Linda Reid, firstname.lastname@example.org
- 5.75 ANCCUPMC Provider Unit is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation
- 5.75 Attendance
Registration Fee: $20
Registration must be completed by April 16, 2021. All attendees must register online. UPMC employees whose department will be paying for their registration fee via journal transfer (with appropriate authorization from their department manager) should first contact Cathy Hulick at email@example.com or 412-623-2174. A registration code will then be provided to complete the registration process online.
All cancellations must be in writing and sent to Cathy Hulick at firstname.lastname@example.org. All cancellations must be received by April 16, 2021. No refunds will be made after April 16, 2021.
Contact Cathy Hulick at email@example.com or 412-623-2174 or Breen Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org or 412-623-7114