LGBTQIA+ Patient and Colleague Awareness
LGBTQ+ members often experience discrimination and marginalization which create stressors and can lead to increased risk behaviors and health challenges. The purpose of the project that these training modules are part of is to address the access issue for our LGBTQ+ members by providing them a tool to inform them of and connect them to LGBTQ+ culturally competent/ affirming providers.
The training modules will be required for providers who choose to be designated as an LGBTQ+ Affirming Provider in the UPMC provider directory. Through this project we will create a designation process which includes training and education materials that will inform providers of LGBTQ+ concepts and terminology, health disparities and how to apply best practices for clinical and non-clinical care of LGBTQ+ patients.
Upon completion of this activity, participants should be able to:
- Define words related to sexual orientation and gender identity.
- Recognize that lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer individual make up a significant portion of the population.
- Relate to patients, customers, health plan members, residents, co-workers, family, and/or friends who are members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer community.
- Explore the challenges, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer individuals face when seeking health care.
- Examine health issues which lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer patients may experience more often than other patient populations.
- Recall strategies to communicate and interact with lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer patients, customers, members, residents, and co-workers in order to provide them with the best possible experience in a health care or workplace setting.
Shireen Haq, MPH - Program Director, National Network Development & Strategic Expansion at UPMC Health Plan
J.Joy Gero, PsyD, LPC - UPMC Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh
Planning Committee Members:
- Shireen Haq, MPH -Program Director, National Network Development & Strategic Expansion at UPMC Health Plan.
- Kristen Eckstrand, MD, PhD - Board-certified child & adolescent psychiatrist and Clinical Assistant Professor at the Western Psychiatric Hospital of UPMC
- J. Joy Gero, PsyD - UPMC Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh
- Dan LaVallee, MS - Senior Director, Social Impact · UPMC Health Plan
- Michael Shirilla, MA, PMP - Project Manager, UPMC Health Plan
- Alex Keuroghlian, MD, MPH, Faculty Advisor, LAHMS, Associate Professor of Psychiatry, Director of Education and Training Programs at The Fenway Institute
Dr. Keuroghlian disclosed he receives royalties as editor of textbook for McGraw Hill
No other relationships with industry relevant to the content of this educational activity have been disclosed.
Authors disclosure of relevant financial relationships with any entity producing, marketing, re-selling, or distributing health care goods or services, used on, or consumed by, patients is listed above. No other planners, members of the planning committee, content reviewers and/or anyone else in a position to control the content of this education activity have relevant financial relationships to disclose.
In support of improving patient care, the University of Pittsburgh is jointly accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), and the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), to provide continuing education for the healthcare team.
The University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine designates this enduring material for a maximum of 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 CreditsTM. Physicians should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Other health care professionals will receive a certificate of attendance confirming the number of contact hours commensurate with the extent of participation in this activity.
- 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™The University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
- 1.00 Attendance