6th Annual Acute Stroke Symposium
The Sixth Annual Acute Neurovascular Symposium is designed to provide the most recent advances in stroke care for nurses and health care providers including physical, occupational, and speech therapists. This event is held annually to assist with educational requirements of nurses and to provide education to health care professionals who care for stroke patients. The faculty of experts will present stroke research, didactic training, and case presentations on Acute Stroke Care.
This one-day symposium is geared toward nurses, physicians, EMS, therapists, and other health care professionals who provide neurology, emergency medicine, neurosurgery, physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy, and cognitive therapy services to patients from pre- through post-acute stroke.
• The participant will have a better understanding of the hematological disorders associated with stroke patients.
• The participant will have a better understanding of when a patient may receive a fibrinolytic, and reversal treatment.
• The participant will have increased knowledge of reperfusion therapies available.
• The participant will have increased knowledge of strokes in the young population and improving patient education.
• The participant will be able to know the different locations and treatments available for aneurysms.
Schedule Friday, September 8, 2023
7:30 a.m. Virtual Login Begins
7:45 a.m. Introduction
Cynthia Kenmuir, MD, PhD
8 a.m. Endovascular Treatment for Posterior Circulation Stroke
Mausaminben Hathidara, MD
08:40 a.m. Large Core Strokes and Endovascular Treatment
9:40 15 Minute Break
10:00 a.m. Brain Aneurysm Treatment
11:00 a.m. Hypercoagulable State and Ischemic Stroke
12:00 p.m. Lunch Break
12:45 p.m. Debates- Hathidara, Kenmuir, Shehab
Endovascular Therapy for Low NIHSS
Intravenous Thrombolysis after 4.5 hours
Endovascular Therapy for Distal Occlusion
2:15 p.m. Strokes in the Young - Dr. Lewis
3:00 p.m. Medical Management of Malignant Ischemic and Hemorrhagic Strokes - Dr. Hafeez
4pm Conference Adjournment
No members of the planning committee, speakers, presenters, authors, content reviewers, and/or anyone else in a position to control the content of this education activity have relevant financial relationships with any entity producing, marketing, re-selling, or distributing health care goods or services, used on, or consumed by, patients to disclose.
In support of improving patient care, the University of Pittsburgh is jointly accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), and the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), to provide continuing education for the healthcare team.
The University of Pittsburgh designates this live activity for a maximum of 7.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
The maximum number of hours awarded for this Continuing Nursing Education activity is 7.0 contact hours.
Physician Assistant (AAPA)
The University of Pittsburgh has been authorized by the American Academy of PAs (AAPA) to award AAPA Category 1 CME credit for activities planned in accordance with AAPA CME Criteria. This activity is designated for 7.0 AAPA Category 1 CME credits. PAs should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation.
Other health care professionals will receive a certificate of attendance confirming the number of contact hours commensurate with the extent of participation in this activity.
- 7.00 AAPA Category I CME
- 7.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™The University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
- 7.00 ANCCUPMC Provider Unit is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation
- 7.00 Attendance
We gratefully acknowledge support from the following for this activity:
CSL Behring, Inc.
Select Specialty Hospital
The UPMC Center for Continuing Education in the Health Sciences reserves the right to cancel this program if sufficient registrations are not received.
All cancellations should be made by Sept. 1, 2023. To cancel your registration, please notify: Angela Guyer, email@example.com