Behavioral Health and Pediatric Primary Care (TiPS)
UPMC Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh’s primary care network, Children’s Community Pediatrics (CCP), has been selected by Pennsylvania state officials to take part in a new program to improve behavioral health treatment for children in the state.
TiPS is a program designed to increase the availability of peer-to-peer child psychiatry consultation teams to primary care clinicians (PCCs) who are prescribers of psychotropic medications for children insured by Pennsylvania’s Medical Assistance programs, Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP), and UPMC commercial insurance. The program aims to provide real time resources to clinicians who desire consultative advice for children with behavioral health concerns.
This conference is to help PCCs understand the TiPS program and how to use it. Learning goals are directly related to behavioral health intervention, the use of psychotropic medication, and other pediatric psychiatry related topics.
Pediatric Primary Care Physicians, Family Practice Physicians, and Advanced Practice Providers (PA, DNP, CRNP) who practice in the northwestern, and northern southwestern PA counties. If you have any questions, please contact Colleen Gianneski at 724.933.3912, ext. 272.
At the completion of the program, participants will be able to:
- Discuss how to utilize Children’s TiPS for psychiatric consultant
- Describe at least on non-pharmacologic behavioral health intervention that can be used in primary care
- Practice cross titrating stimulant medications
- Recognize the importance of the behavioral health differential diagnosis when prescribing medications for depression/anxiety
- Describe a method to deploy components of their behavioral health “toolbox”
- Understand the importance of follow-up for behavioral health interventions provided in primary care when a child/adolescent is starting, taking, or discontinuing medication for depression/anxiety
- Review the impact of the worldwide pandemic on behavioral health of youth and families
Please see attached document.
Continuing Education Credits
In support of improving patient care, the University of Pittsburgh is jointly accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), and the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), to provide continuing education for the healthcare team.
The University of Pittsburgh designates this live activity for a maximum of 6.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Other Healthcare Professionals
Other health care professionals will receive a certificate of attendance confirming the number of contact hours commensurate with the extent of participation in this activity.
As a Jointly Accredited Organization, University of Pittsburgh is approved to offer psychology continuing education by the American Psychological Association. University of Pittsburgh maintains responsibility for this course. Psychologists completing this course receive 6.0 continuing education credits.
Certified Alcohol and Drug Counselors/Certified Co-Occurring Disorders Professionals: CADC/CCDP
Education and Consultative Services of UPMC Western Psychiatric Hospital is certified by the Pennsylvania Certification Board (PCB) to provide Certified Alcohol and Drug Counselor (CADC) and Certified Co-occurring Disorders Professional (CCDP) continuing education credits. This program is being offered for 6.0 continuing education credits.
Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 5059. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic is solely responsible for all aspects of this program. This program is being offered for 6.0 continuing education hours.
Licensed/Clinical Social Workers, Licensed Professional Counselors, Licensed Marriage and Family Therapists: LSW/LCSW/LPC/LMFT
As a Jointly Accredited Organization, University of Pittsburgh is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved under this program. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. University of Pittsburgh maintains responsibility for this course. Social workers completing this course receive 6.0 continuing education credits.
Other Healthcare Professionals
Nurses and other health care professionals are awarded .60 Continuing Education Units (CEU's). One CEU is equal to 10 contact hours. Nurses: For attending this program you will receive a Certificate of Attendance confirming .60 hours of continuing education. These hours may be considered eligible for completing the 30 hours of continuing education required for biannual nursing re-licensure in Pennsylvania. Peer Specialists: This program fulfills requirements for Certified Peer Specialist continuing education.
- Continuing education credits will be reduced if the participant chooses to leave before the end of the event.
- NBCC, CADC/CCDC, and General CEU – Upon completion of the evaluation and continuing education application, participants will be awarded a continuing education contact hour(s) certificate four to six weeks post-conference via e-mail. Please keep these certificates in a safe place. Replacements will cost $30.
- CME, APA and LSW/LCSW/LPC/LMFT certificates will be issued upon completion of the evaluation on the CCEHS registration site.
- 6.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™The University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
- 6.00 APA
- 6.00 ASWB
- 1.00 Attendance
No payment is required for this program.
The evaluation will open after the end of the program. APA, CME, and LSW/LCSW/LPC/LMFT certificates can be obtained at this website.
NCC, CADC/CCDC, and General CEU certificates will be issued by Education and Consultative Services of UPMC WPH if this information is noted in the evaluation (name, e-mail address, and CE certificate/credit needed).
Return to http://cce.upmc.com to complete the evaluation, and follow these instructions:
- Go to My Account
- My Courses
- Pending Activities should be highlighted in purple
- Click on the program title
- Click on the purple box (Register/Complete Course)
- Click on the circle next to “Complete Course Evaluation”
- Take the evaluation
- That should allow you to click on “credit” when done, and then “certificate” after that for APA or LSW/LCSW/LPC/LMFT.