2022 PRIDE Month - Transforming LGBTQIA+ Health Quality at UPMC
Program: June 29, 2022 – 12:00 to 1:00 PM
This is a one-hour presentation. There is no fee for viewing and continuing education (CE) and continuing medical education (CME) credit for UPMC and affiliated staff. Please use your UPMC, CCBH, Pitt, Magee, etc. e-mail address when registering, and select the appropriate attribute.
Interested individuals outside of UPMC are invited to view the program for no cost, however the one CE and CME credit will cost $30. Please select the appropriate attribute.
Please complete the evaluation that will open after the event ends, and claim/request your CE/CME certificate by July 31, 2022.
All clinicians and providers of physical and mental healthcare.
By the completion of this session, participants should be able to:
- Discuss core components of LGBTQIA+ health quality at UPMC
- Recognize opportunities at UPMC to provide affirming health care to LGBTQIA+ patients
- Identify strategies for improving LGBTQIA+ resident and fellow wellbeing
Kristen Eckstrand, MD, PhD
Fellow, Child & Adolescent Psychiatry
Post-Doctoral Fellow at the University of Pittsburgh
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
UPMC Western Psychiatric Hospital
Dr. Kristen Eckstrand is a psychiatrist and neuroscientist with expertise in child and adolescent mental health, LGBTQ health, and the impact of trauma exposure on the brain and mental health with a focus on trauma experienced by vulnerable populations. Dr. Eckstrand is recognized nationally for their work in expanding health care professional education and health care systems to address the health needs of LGBTQ communities. Dr. Eckstrand has published on this topic widely and consults with various healthcare researchers and organizations related to LGBTQ health and organizational quality improvement.
J. Joy Gero, PsyD
Director of Population Health & Improvement
Program Manager, LGBTQ Health
Wolff Center at UPMC
Joy Gero, Psy.D. (she/her) is a psychologist who began her career at UPMC close to 14 years ago at UPMC Western Behavioral Health. During her time at UPMC, she has worked in leadership and training roles across the health care system including as the leader of patient relations at UPMC Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh. She was named the manager of LGBTQ+ Health Initiatives at UPMC in February of 2019 and helped lead a team that improved UPMC’s participation and designation in the Human Rights Campaign Healthcare Equality Index. Dr. Gero currently serves as the program director of the General Adult and Behavioral Health Intensive Care Units at UPMC Western Psychiatric Hospital.
In addition to her work at UPMC, Dr. Gero has facilitated trainings and spoken about topics ranging from implicit bias, being an advocate for intersectional communities, moral injury, suicide, and anxiety.
In support of improving patient care, the University of Pittsburgh is jointly accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) and the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), and the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), to provide continuing education for the healthcare team.
The University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine designates this live activity for a maximum of 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 CreditsTM. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Other health care professionals will receive a certificate of attendance confirming the number of contact hours commensurate with the extent of participation in this activity.
As a Jointly Accredited Organization, University of Pittsburgh is approved to offer psychology continuing education by the American Psychological Association. University of Pittsburgh maintains responsibility for this course. Psychologists completing this course receive 1.0 continuing education credits.
Education and Consultative Services of UPMC Western Psychiatric Hospital has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 5059. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. UPMC Western Psychiatric Hospital is solely responsible for all aspects of this program. This program is being offered for 1.0 continuing education hours.
Licensed/Clinical Social Workers, Licensed Professional Counselors, Licensed Marriage and Family Therapists: LSW/LCSW/LPC/LMFT
As a Jointly Accredited Organization, University of Pittsburgh is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved under this program. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. University of Pittsburgh maintains responsibility for this course. Social workers completing this course receive 1.0 continuing education credits.
Other professionals are awarded 0.1 Continuing Education Units (CEU's). One CEU is equal to 10 contact hours. Peer Specialists: This program fulfills requirements for Certified Peer Specialist continuing education.
- Upon completion of the evaluation on the CCEHS registration site, you will be able to obtain your CME, ANCC, APA and LSW/LCSW/LPC/LMFT certificate from this site.
- If you need both the APA and the LSW/LCSW/LPC/LMFT certificate, you should obtain the LSW/LCSW/LPC/LMFT certificate from the registration site, then contact Nancy Mundy at email@example.com for the APA certificate.
- NBCC and General CEU certificates will come from Education and Consultative Services upon answering the questions in the evaluation regarding CE credits and an e-mail address. Please allow four- to six-weeks for this process.
- Please retain your certificate in a safe place. Replacement cost for NCC and General CEU certificates is $30.
- 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™The University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
- 1.00 ANCCUPMC Provider Unit is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation
- 1.00 APA
- 1.00 ASWB
- 1.00 Attendance