2023 PRIDE Series June 16, 2023 - Opening the Door to Diversity & Equality in a Black Church
Please note... All UPMC/Pitt/CCBH staff can attend this event at no cost. Please use the first option that specifies WBH staff. We apologize for this inconvenience. Please use your UPMC/Pitt/CCBH e-mail address to register for this option.
This program does not meet the AMA criteria for continuing medical education (CME) credit.
Opening The Door to Diversity & Equality in a Black Church Introductory
In this conversation, we will explore the bridges and barriers to celebrating and practicing diversity and equality in a Black Church. We will examine the role of the lead pastor, lay leaders, and congregation. What’s more, we will touch upon how to draw from SERT and the Praxis Circle, two tools that can be helpful for framing conversations about diversity and equality in congregational life.
Clinical and research staff, social workers, psychology interns, and clergy. All interested others.
By the completion of this session, participants should be able to:
1. Recognize some of the key barriers to diversity and inclusivity in the Black Church.
2. Identify strategies for overcoming the stated barriers.
3. Discuss conceptual and practical tools which are essential to opening the door.
Senior Pastor of Emmanuel Baptist Church
Since November 1990, Anthony L. Trufant has served as the Senior Pastor of Emmanuel Baptist Church of Brooklyn, NY (www.ebcconnects.com). He is a graduate of Morehouse College (B.A.), Colgate Rochester Divinity School (M.Div.), and Seton Hall University (M.A). He has completed coursework towards a doctorate in Pastoral Counseling at Hebrew Union College of New York City. Currently, he is a doctoral candidate at Bakke Graduate School, where he is pursuing a degree in Transformational Leadership. He holds a certificate in Conflict Resolution Mediation, and he is an executive coach with the John Maxwell Team. Furthermore, he is the sole owner and operator of Tru4U, LLC, an organizational consulting and executive coaching company. His biblically based, Christ-centered preaching and teaching seeks to hold together spiritual formation, pastoral counseling, and social justice. He is married to Muriel Goode-Trufant, the Managing Attorney for NYC Law Department, and is the proud father of two young adult daughters, Sharise and Toni.
As a Jointly Accredited Organization, University of Pittsburgh is approved to offer psychology continuing education by the American Psychological Association. University of Pittsburgh maintains responsibility for this course. Psychologists completing this course receive 1.0 continuing education credits.
Education and Consultative Services of UPMC Western Psychiatric Hospital has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 5059. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. UPMC Western Psychiatric Hospital is solely responsible for all aspects of this program. This program is being offered for 1.0 continuing education hours.
Licensed/Clinical Social Workers, Licensed Professional Counselors, Licensed Marriage and Family Therapists: LSW/LCSW/LPC/LMFT
As a Jointly Accredited Organization, University of Pittsburgh is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved under this program. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. University of Pittsburgh maintains responsibility for this course. Social workers completing this course receive 1.0 continuing education credits.
Other professionals are awarded 0.1 Continuing Education Units (CEU's). One CEU is equal to 10 contact hours. Peer Specialists: This program fulfills requirements for Certified Peer Specialist continuing education.
- Upon completion of the evaluation on the CCEHS registration site, you will be able to obtain your CME, APA, and LSW/LCSW/LPC/LMFT certificate from this site.
- If you need both the APA and the LSW/LCSW/LPC/LMFT certificate, you should obtain the LSW/LCSW/LPC/LMFT certificate from the registration site, then contact Nancy Mundy at firstname.lastname@example.org for the APA certificate.
- NBCC and General CEU certificates will come from Education and Consultative Services if you’ve identified the CE credit you’re requesting at the beginning of the registration process. Please allow four- to six weeks for this process.
- Please retain your certificate in a safe place. The replacement cost for NCC and General CEU certificates is $30.
- 1.00 APA
- 1.00 ASWB
- 1.00 Attendance