Introduction to Oncology for the Healthcare Provider 11/6/2020
This 1-day seminar provides an overview of cancer, disease process, treatments, symptom management, and the impact on patients and caregivers. It is intended to enhance the practice of health care professionals and ancillary staff new to any oncology setting.
Advanced Practice Providers, Front Office Staff, Nurses, Patient Care Technicians, Pharmacists, and Research staff
1) Describe the pathophysiology of malignant disease and factors that can increase a person's risk of developing cancer
2) Recall the role of different treatment modalities in the management of patients with cancer
3) Identify supportive care, symptom management, and psychosocial needs of patients with cancer
- Chemotherapy Handling Measures and Responsibilities for Patients Receiving Chemotherapy
- Overview of Cancer Treatments
- Pathophysiology of Cancer
- The Psychosocial Needs of Patients, Families, and Caregivers
- Neutropenia and Thrombocytopenia
- Oncology Emergencies
- Pain Management and Nausea and Vomiting
- Use of Blood Products in Patients with Cancer
The course coordinator will send information to the registered attendee and their manager approximately one week prior to the course.
- Julia Anselmo, PA-C
- Amanda Budai, MSW, LCSW
- Katherine D’Antonio, PhD, PA-C
- Amy DiMaggio, MSN, RN, CMSRN
- Julia Dubis, PA-C
- Gloria Gotaskie, MSN, RN
- Leah Hart, BSN, RN
- Linda Lakdawala, DNP, RN, CPAN
- Becky McClelland, MSN-Ed, RN, OCN
- Bethany Lyon, MSN, LCSW
- Alyssa Owens, PA-C
- Hannah Peterson, PA-C
- Brittni Prosdocimo, MSN, RN, BMTCN
- Louisa Ramsey, RN, CEN
- Karlyn Rupert, MPAS, PA-C
In support of improving patient care, the University of Pittsburgh is jointly accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), and the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), to provide continuing education for the healthcare team.
- 5.50 AAPA Category I CME
- 5.50 ANCCUPMC Provider Unit is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation
- 5.50 Attendance
- All UPMC employees are required to register for educational programs through https://CCE.upmc.edu. If you are new to the registration system, you will need to create an account prior to course registration using your UPMC email address. Manager approval may be required for some programs for some employees. If you receive an approval required notice when enrolling, please notify your manager of your interest in the program. Certificates will be available to download and stored for future reference. For step by step instructions on how to access your credits visit, https://cce.upmc.com/FAQ/access_credits. To answer other common questions, please visit https://cce.upmc.com/FAQ.
2) Cancellation Policy:
- If you cannot attend ANY PORTION of the class for any reason, you need to directly notify the course director, Amy DiMaggio by calling 412-623-3651 and leave a voice mail message OR email Amy DiMaggio at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Participants who are NOT UPMC employees who cancel less than 1 week prior or do not attend, will not have the registration fee refunded.
- UPMC Employees & affiliates who do not cancel and do not attend will have their manager notified and the unit may be billed the full registration fee.
- If Pittsburgh Public Schools are closed prior to 6 a.m. due to treacherous road conditions, our classes are cancelled. Class schedule is NOT changed by school delays or severe temperature.
- Class cancellation announcements will be recorded on the course registrar’s voicemail at 412-623-3651 and an automatic response will be posted in the course registrar’s email email@example.com. You must call 412-623-3651 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to receive class cancellation announcements.
- Please take a minute to have a discussion with your manager to determine what you should do about your time if you will not be in class (ex. weather cancellation of class). You may be asked to plan to report to your work site if class is cancelled, please know your plan in advance.
- For any adverse weather conditions, please use your best judgment.
- The program sponsors reserve the right to make changes or cancel the program because of unforeseen circumstances. Attendees will be given notification with as much notice as possible about changes and cancellations.