Medical-Surgical Essentials | March 29, 2023
Medical-Surgical Essentials is designed to serve novice and experienced nurses with the most common nursing issues they will experience while working at UPMC St. Margaret. This interactive course will cover neurological disorders and management, respiratory disorders and management, oxygenation and ventilation principles, tracheostomy care, chest tube care, PCAs/EtCO2 monitoring, 12-lead EKGs, nasogastric tube insertion and management, bedside report, and de-escalation of care.
This course is open to all registered nurses at UPMC St. Margaret. Both experienced nurses and new graduates are welcome to attend.
- Describe the nursing care of patients with acute neurological changes
- Describe the nursing care of patients with respiratory failure
- Demonstrate medical-surgical nursing skills, including NG tube management, PCA/EtCO2 setup and management, trach care and suctioning, chest tube set up and care, 12-lead EKGs, and basic wound care
- Practice bedside report and AIDET communication through the use of simulation
- Practice preparedness and teamwork in crisis situations through the use of simulation
Nicolette Corrado, BSN, RN, ENLS
Catherine Green, MSN, RN, NPD-BC, CMSRN
Kristen Killian, DNP, BS, RN, ENLS
Sarah Komoroski, BSN, RN, CMSRN
Cheyenne Swanson, RRT
Kendallyn White, MSN, RN, NPD-BC, CMSRN
Tiffany Wilson, BSN, RN, WTA-C
Jennifer Vonada, BSN, RN, PCCN, CNIM
In support of improving patient care, the University of Pittsburgh is jointly accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), and the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), to provide continuing education for the healthcare team.
This activity is approved for the following credit: ANCC. Other healthcare professionals will receive a certificate of attendance confirming the number of contact hours commensurate with the extent of participation in this activity.
The maximum number of hours awarded for this Continuing Nursing Education activity is 7.5 contact hours.
- 7.50 ANCCUPMC Provider Unit is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation
- 7.50 Attendance