Precepting for Success
This course is intended to assist in the professional development of new preceptors of nursing students or nursing new hires. It will assist learners to further develop skills to:
- Determine your personal precepting style!
- Use AIDET + the Promise to set the preceptor-preceptee relationships off to a great start!
- Understand expectations of the role of preceptor and preceptee
- Identify strategies for creating a positive learning environment
- Describe the UPMC orientation documentation process and tools specific to your facility
- Provide relevant, timely, specific feedback; document and share that evaluation according to the process specific to your facility
- Identify resources to help you address challenges related to the Preceptor role
New preceptors of nursing students or new nursing hires.
Determine personal leadership style by completing self-evaluation activity.
Identify ways to support preceptee within each aspect of the UPMC CARE MODEL (Connect, Actively Listen, Respond, Empathize).
Identify roles and expectations of Preceptor, Preceptee, Manager and Educator.
Identify strategies for creating a positive learning environment.
Describe the UPMC orientation documentation process and tools specific to your facility.
Provide relevant, timely, specific feedback; document and share that evaluation according to the process specific to your facility.
Identify resources to help the preceptor address challenges related to the Preceptor role.
9:00AM– 10:15 AM
Preceptor role, tactics, and strategies
Communication skills for the preceptor
Kathy Fadgen and Kelly Simonelli/Katie McConnell
10:15AM – 10:30 AM
Core Skills: Critical Thinking, Interpersonal Relationships, and Technical Skills
Levels of Competence
Sarah Ziccardi and Christie Galcik
11:30AM – 12:15PM
Giving Feedback/Crucial Conversations
Rebecca Kolb and Michele Adams
Wrap-up and adjournment
Kristen Lutz and Danica Derbis
Michele Adams, BSN, RN, UPMC Passavant
Danica Derbis, MSN, RN-BC, UPMC Passavant
Kathy Fadgen, MPH, BSN, RN, UPMC Passavant
Christie Galcik, MSN, RN, CEN, UPMC Passavant
Rebecca Kolb, MSN, RN-BC, UPMC Passavant
Kristen Lutz, MSN, RN, CEN, UPMC Passavant
Katie McConnell, MSN, RN, ONC, UPMC Passavant
Kelly Simonelli, MSN, RN-BC, UPMC Passavant
Sarah Ziccardi, DNP, RN-BC, NPD-BC, UPMC Passavant
In support of improving patient care, the University of Pittsburgh is jointly accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), and the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), to provide continuing education for the healthcare team.
The maximum number of hours awarded for this Continuing Nursing Education activity is 1.0 contact hours.
- 4.80 ANCCUPMC Provider Unit is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation
- 4.80 Attendance