UPMC Physician Well-being Symposium 2023
The purpose of the symposium is to discuss ways to enhance our culture of well-being, personal resilience, and develop system-level solutions that will improve physician well-being and professional fulfillment. We are planning both in-person and virtual options for the 2023 Symposium.
The day will consist of a variety of events including:
• Panel discussions
• Expert speakers
UPMC Physician Faculty
A full day of programming consisting of lectures and workshops to discuss ways to address personal well-being and resilience, enhance our culture of wellness, and develop systems level solutions.
• Educate physicians on the definition of physician burnout as well as the extent of this problem nationally. Educate our physicians about the causes of physician burnout both nationally.
• Educate physicians about the national initiatives, most notably those of the National Academy of Medicine, to address physician burnout and promote physician wellness.
• Teach the attendees about ongoing initiatives to improve physician burnout at UPMC. These include education about strategies to integrate wellness into their work, workshops with strategies to improve their resilience. We will also present exciting, ongoing work on revolutionizing the electronic health record at UPMC.
Joe Losee, MD
Jennifer Berliner, MD
Jane Liebschutz, MD
1. Jennifer Berliner, MD, Director of Physician Well-being, Co-Chair - Physician THRIVE, UPMC
2. Donald M. Yealy, MD, Senior Vice President, and Chief Medical Officer, UPMC
3. Anantha Shekhar, MD, PhD, Dean, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine and Senior Vice Chancellor for Health Sciences, University of Pittsburgh, UPMC
4. Mark Geraci, MD, Associate Vice Chancellor for Interdisciplinary Research, Health Sciences Interim Chair, Department of Medicine Professor of Medicine, UPMC
5. Gary Fischer, MD, Professor of Medicine and Biomedical Informatics, Associate Chief, Division of General Internal Medicine, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Medical Director, Clinical Decision Support and Analytic Tools, Ambulatory eRecord, UPMC
6. Jane Liebschutz, MD, Chief, Division of General Internal Medicine, Professor of Medicine (with Tenure), UPMC Endowed Chair of Translational Medicine and Research, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, UPMC Health System
7. Edward Karlovich, Executive Vice President, Chief Financial Officer, UPMC
8. Mark Sevco, MBA, MHA, Executive Vice President, UPMC President, UPMC Hospitals
9. Donald M. Yealy, MD, Senior Vice President and Chief Medical Officer, UPMC
10.Sansea Jacobson, MD, Co-Chair, UPMC GMEC WELL Subcommittee, UPMC 11. Michelle Thompson, DO, AOBFP, ABOIM, DipABLM, FACLM Medical Director Lifestyle Medicine Institute, Vice Chief of Staff of Staff UPMC Horizon & Jameson, Clinical Assistant Professor of Family Medicine University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
12. Lucy Hone, Ph.D. – Adjunct Senior Fellow, University of Canterbury, Co- Director of New Zealand Institute of Wellbeing & Resilience, New Zealand
13. Michael J. Curren Jr., MD, MS , Diplomate, Clinical Informatics, ABPM, Clinical Assistant Professor of Medicine, UPMC eRecord Medical Director Provider Documentation and EHR Optimization
14. S Gillianne DeFoe, MD, Clinical Assistant Professor, Department of Radiation Oncology, Hillman Cancer Center St. Margret
15. Kavita Fischer, MD, DFAPA, Regional Medical Director, Community Care Behavioral Health Organization Insurance Services Division
16. Jose Abad, MD, Community Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, UPMC
17. Jonathan Arnold, MD MSE MS, Director, CMI eRecord Initiatives, Director for Research and QI, UPMC McKeesport IM Residency, Assist. Professor of Medicine, University of Pittsburgh DGIM
18. James Gordon, MD, Founder & CEO of The Center for Mind-Body Medicine, Washington, DC
19. Kristin Ondecko Ligda, MD, Department of Anesthesiology and Perioperative Medicine, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine & UPMC Mercy Hospital, UPMC
20. Felicia Snead, MD, FASTRO, Dept of Radiology Oncology, Hillman Cancer Center, UPMC
21. Deborah Nicklas Snyder, DO, Board Certified in Family Medicine and Lifestyle Medicine, Shared Savings POD Leader – Horizon, UPMC Family & Lifestyle Medicine Partners
22. Simone Frerk, Vice President, Environmental, Food and Clinical Nutrition Services
23. Joe Losee, MD, Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs, Co-Chair - Physician THRIVE, UPMC
No members of the planning committee, speakers, presenters, authors, content reviewers and/or anyone else in a position to control the content of this education activity have relevant financial relationships with any companies whose primary business is producing, marketing, selling, re-selling, or distributing healthcare products used by or on patients.
In support of improving patient care, the University of Pittsburgh is jointly accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), and the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), to provide continuing education for the healthcare team.
The University of Pittsburgh designates this live activity for a maximum of 4.75 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Other health care professionals will receive a certificate of attendance confirming the number of contact hours commensurate with the extent of participation in this activity.
- 4.75 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™The University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
- 4.75 Attendance
Register now to attend in-person at the event in Pittsburgh at the Herberman Conference Center on the campus of UPMC Shadyside, or sign-up now for the virtual option. See which workshops are available and choose the one you would like to attend using the in-person or virtual links.
This program will be free of charge for all participants. Registration is required.
Participation by all individuals is encouraged. Advance notification of any special needs will help us provide better service. Please notify us of your needs at least two weeks in advance of the program by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information, please contact Crystal Ackles at email@example.com