16th Annual Dr. Dennis English Virtual Patient Safety Symposium Confronting and Addressing Inequalities in Health Care: Achieving the Best Outcomes
Magee’s Quality/Patient Safety Symposium is one of the regions focused seminars for advancing patient safety. Our speakers are recognized both regionally and nationally for driving high reliability, teamwork, and collaborative care where team members work together and include the patients and their families into the care activities.
Staff, Nurses, Physicians, Administrators, Pharmacists, Ancillary Staff.
- The attendees will understand the basis of our patient’s fear of engaging with health care.
- The attendees will learn optimal communication approaches with patients and support persons with limited English proficiency.
- The attendees will learn the Legal implications for inequalities/disabilities in providing care.
- The attendees will understand the importance of supporting, and meeting the needs of transgender patients.
- The attendees will learn how are we addressing inequalities at UPMC Magee-Womens Hospital and how we engage women in the community to receive care.
7:00 AM Sign-in to Teams
7:15 AM Welcome
Richard Beigi, MD, MSc
President, UPMC Magee-Womens Hospital
Professor of Reproductive Sciences, Dept OB/GYN/RS, UPSOM
7:20 AM Race and Culture in Prenatal Care: Anchoring Quality Through Relationships
Jeannette South-Paul, MD, DHL( Hon), FAAFP
Professor and Chair Emeritus, Family Medicine
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
J. South-Paul Academic Consultants, LLC
8:20 AM Break
8:30 AM “The Trans Experience”
NICU Patient Care Technician
Magee-Womens Hospital, Pittsburgh, PA
9:15 AM Break
9:20 AM The Value of Effective Communication to Diverse Populations
UPMC International Patient Relations
John V. Silipigni LCSW, MBA, CCM, ACM-SW
Director, Health Management
UPMC Magee-Womens Hospital
10:15 AM Break
10:20 AM Legal Issues in the Care of Persons with Disabilities and Other Underserved Populations
Chatón T. Turner, Esq.
Senior Associate Counsel/Senior Director Disabilities Services
University of Pittsburgh Medical Center
11:00 AM Break
11:05AM Leveraging Collaboration to Focus on Multifaceted Inside and Outside Our Walls
LaJuana Fuller MHA, R.T. (R) (M)
Director, Womens Imaging
UPMC Magee-Womens Hospital, Pittsburgh, PA
Jessica Johnson, MHA, BSN, RN
Director, Surgical Services
Chair, Inclusion and Diversity Initiatives
UPMC Magee-Womens Hospital
12 Noon Adjournment
In support of improving patient care, the University of Pittsburgh is jointly accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), and the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), to provide continuing education for the healthcare team.
The University of Pittsburgh designates this live activity for a maximum of 4.25 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
The maximum number of hours awarded for this Continuing Nursing Education activity is 4.25 contact hours.
Other Healthcare Professionals
Other health care professionals will receive a certificate of attendance confirming the number of contact hours commensurate with the extent of participation in this activity.
- 4.25 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™The University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
- 4.25 ANCCUPMC Provider Unit is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation
- 4.25 Attendance
If you have an account with the UPMC Center for Continuing Education log into your account and you will be directed to the course for registration. Click register and a confirmation email will follow.
If you do not have an account established, please create a new account by clicking on the link, register, and complete the fields. Be sure to validate you are not a robot and click Submit, registration complete and a confirmation email will follow.
Should you have any questions or need additional information feel free to contact me email@example.com or 412-641-4309.
Thank you for your support and commitment to providing safe quality care to our patients!
Participation by all individuals is encouraged. Advance notification of any special needs will help us provide better service. Please notify us of your needs at least two weeks in advance of the program by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.